Blocking a Hat
Now that you have a hat blocker, we are ready to block. Go wash your hat in lukewarm water, add a drop or two of wool wash, and then gently press out all the excess water. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
Ready? Me too.
1) Stretch that hat around the disc. Get it nice and centered.
2) Now you will need more string and that tapestry needle. Put in a loose, widely spaced, running stitch around the bottom edge.
3) Pull both ends of the thread and cinch that bottom edge together. Tie a quick square knot in the thread to hold it.
Interested in making these hats? I figure some readers might want links to the patterns so, from left to right:
- Spliced, design by me
- Chambered Nautilus Tam, design by Elizabeth Zimmermann
- Get Around, another design by me and a freebie. Go grab it!