But then Christmas isn’t politically correct either these days so who cares?. What’s my favorite Christmas movie? Why its the 1966 version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas of course!
All those Whos in Whoville didn’t win my heart but that deliciously nasty Grinch sure did. I just loved him as a kid. I loved his pathetic little dog too.
However, when I watched it again, I realized that its, umm, a teensy, weensy, little bit, terribly offensive. After all there is:
- severe and repeated abuse of a cartoon dog,
- insensitive characterizations of crocodiles,
- deliberate starvation of house-dwelling rodents,
- advocacy of lying to small children,
- a complete disregard for fire safety codes, and
- the running of a sleigh through ecologically sensitive habitats.
The understanding that my favorite Christmas movie as a kid is now objectionable just makes me like it more. What does that say about my character? Don’t answer that. Just watch the movie right here (for free).
Merry Christmas to all us Whos in Whoville. Merry Christmas to all the Grinchs out there. And super-duper Merry Christmas to all sad little dogs that have to suffer having an antler tied to their heads.