This is a short guide about how to comment here on the Roving Crafters. We have a comfy little community of crafters that come everyday to check out what’s new. This is a family friendly place protected from spammers, hackers, and other internet baddies by all sorts of software that I could never understand.
I’m Jenn and I live for feedback. I hope after reading this guide you’ll have a better understanding of how to comment and start chatting with us.
Here is what the comment field probably looks like to you right now:
- All that is required is a name. That email field is optional and if you leave it blank, your comment will go through just fine.
- The little picture in the upper left is a default avatar. My site chooses one of several cartoon monsters at random to go with your comment. You can set up a custom avatar for yourself and it will show up every time you post if you like. But.. then you will have to use an email. Avatars are tied to email accounts. Go to gravatar.com if you want to set one up.
- You can also manage subscriptions. Then you will receive a notice when someone replies to your comment. Like me! But again, then you will have to give it an email.
- You can add links to other websites. Just copy/paste the web address and it will be a “hotlink” in your comment. Please keep it clean.
- You can share images and videos too. Those images and videos need to be somewhere on the web. You can’t upload direct from your computer. Here is how that works:
Let’s go to olddesignshop.com. I love that site. Once you are there, right click on any image and take a look at that window which pops up. Every web browser has a slightly different name for what you want, and what you want is the web address for the specific image. In Google Chrome its called “Copy image URL”. When you copy/paste the image’s web address it will look like this:
That is how it will look in your draft comment. Once you post the comment, it will look like this:
What do you do if you have an image and it isn’t on the web? Maybe its in your phone or on your computer? Try www.anony.ws. Its a free and anonymous image hosting site. Once you have loaded your image there, do the copy/paste thing.
Here is an example you might find
That should get you up and chatting. If by some chance you post a comment and it doesn’t appear right away then its been held for moderation. That can sometimes happen if its your first time commenting on my site or if your personal privacy settings prevent my software from determining if you are an internet baddie (I’m telling ya, I got the protection turned up pretty high on this website). But everything is okay. Your comment didn’t disappear. Its just in holding and waiting for me to read and approve.